Monday, January 4, 2016

Goals Update: 2015 In Review & 2016 Plans

Welcoming 2015

1. Sew one garment a month: Nope.  Nothing in December.  And I really didn't do so hot for the year, either, seeing as I only completed three projects and I think I only wrote about two of them.
2. Post an article a month: Nothing in December.  I did pretty well over the course of the year, though, as I posted 24 articles and posted at least one (other than this review list) in eight of those months.
3. Run at least 2 5K races: Nope.  Had one under my belt, and never got to #2.  Couldn't even muster up enough caring to go for a quick run on that 70 degree Christmas Day.
4. Exercise 3 times a week: December was great for making my daily steps.  I ended up in the top 2 or 3 every week, and consistently met or exceeded my 10K goal each day. For the year, I think I did okay seeing as there were only about 2 months there where I wasn't really exercising.
5. Have one date with my husband a month: Our annual day after Christmas movie and shopping date happened, so that's a win.  And for the year, we're at least 10 for 12 which is pretty awesome.
6. Become better at expressing my curiosity, and be more clear in the intent of my curiosity: I think I've been doing better, but I've still got a long way to go.  I think once I get into a conversation with someone (i.e. we're both actively listening), I do smashingly, but the initial broaching of the subject continues to cause some strife (and my conversation partners to shut down).
7. Read 10 books: I am SO happy to report that I accomplished this one!  I finished my 10th book the week before Christmas.  I finished up with Tina Fey's "Bossy Pants" which was a really funny read--and great perspective for a working mother.  I recommend it.

Like pretty much all other goals posts for this year, I can firmly say that I accomplished 4 out of 7.  If we count halfsies, I could make an argument for 5, but I think that'd be cheating.


2015 was an interesting year, with a BIG move for us, some major life decisions made, and a modified perspective on what my life actually is and can be versus trying to make it into something else.  I'm glad I tried to do all of this in 2015, and even though I didn't make the goal, I still feel a sense of accomplishment for having done as well as I did.

So what's on the docket for 2016?
1. Stop yelling at my kids. (It really doesn't help anyone)
2. Get at least a B+ in all of my classes (oh ya, I'm starting my MBA this month).
3. Read as many books as possible from this list, thanks to a Facebook challenge from some friends. (I've read a few already, but there's a bunch I haven't and we're all kind of in the same boat on this one.)
4. Exercise 3 times a week/meet those 10K+ steps. 
5. Become better at starting conversations/broaching sensitive subjects with people.
6. Paint my nails once a month.  (Because every girl should have something a little girly in her life once in a while.)  

I've consciously left off goals for sewing, writing, and the 5Ks in 2016.  These were the goals I didn't do well at in 2015 and are also the most time-consuming.  Since I'll be starting an MBA program in 2016, I expect most of my time will spent on studying and any free-time with my family.  I also left off the date goal because we did SO WELL at it.  I think it's officially become a habit and something we've really come to value doing each month.



What are your goals?  How can we be awesome together in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment