Saturday, March 24, 2012

Food: Thai Easiness

Last week, I went to Whole Foods to stock up on arborio and sushi rice, quinoa, couscous, and lentils from their bulks bins.  Quick tip, they sell the arborio rice (risotto rice) for about half the price of anywhere else if you buy it from their bulk bins.  Since I'm still on maternity leave, I had some time to kill and play in the aisles.

One of the fun things I found was a bottle of Thai curry sauce.  They actually had three colors to choose from (red, yellow, or green), but I chose red since that always seems to be what Mark ends up with when we get a curry at a restaurant.  I also found (okay, searched for) shelled edamame, which is a great and easy way to add protein, fiber, and a bunch of vitamins to a dish.

Since sleep, time, money, and brain power is at a premium right now, "one pan throw everything together and use up some leftovers" meals are really incredily handy and Tuesday night was no exception.  Sterved over leftover rice from our Chinese takeout Sunday night, I made this Thai-esque stew and it turned out quite well.

Looking back, we should have gotten some cilantro, and we added srirachi and lime juice to jazz it up.  Still, it wasn't bad for a 15 minute meal.

Ingredients:

Two small frozen flounder filets
One cup frozen shelled edamame
One cup frozen broccoli florets
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 jar Thai red curry sauce
1 pint leftover Chinese takeout rice (or fresh white or sushi rice)
As you can kind of tell in the photo, I sweat the veggies on one side of the pan while cooking the fish on the other.  After about 5 minutes (when everything was mostly cooked through and the veggies were still crunchy) I put the sauce over everthing.  After that, it all simmered together for another 5-10 minutes, I threw the leftover rice in the microwave and dinner was served!

Another serving suggestion would be shrimp.  I actually think the shrimp would have been better, but I didn't feel like peeling a bunch of shrimp that night...

No comments:

Post a Comment